Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October 24, 2015

This was one of those weeks that turned out to be a bit of struggle without bass, piano, or guitar. But those present carried on and worked on some interesting things. Gene was there on drums; Tom dropped in a bit later as well. Wes on tenor, Jack D on trumpet, and Steve H on alto were what we had to get started. We were all trying out Billy Strayhorn's The Star-Crossed Lovers, one I had been warming up on. We began in earnest, though, with St. James Infirmary (II-338). Earlier than usual, Carl showed up with his trombone and a manuscript of Charles Mingus' Jelly Roll. This gave us some solid material to work on for a while. We were still at it when Annie arrived, a little before the regular vocal time. So before she started to sing, we played Tenderly (II-389)

Annie made her first call I'm Confessin' (II-185). Someone called Cousin Mary (II-93) as an instrumental. Back to vocals, we worked on I'm Glad There Is You. We went with another instrumental, this time Lullaby of Birdland (I-256). By this time Dick had found a seat, and we settled on I Could Write A Book (I-186). Annie changed the mood with Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out (I-303). Then we went to a Latin feel with Dick's choice of Meditation (I-266). A little more upbeat, Annie called for Get Happy (III-129). Dick had another Latin number he was fond of, Black Orpheus (I-49). Back to Annie, we played Easy To Love (I-128). We tried an instrumental on Straight, No Chaser (I-386), though it kind of clunked to a stop. So we wrapped things up with Annie singing Sugar (I-387).

Participant's Picks
Jack D
Chet Baker, Almost Blue

Gene
Dinah Washington, September in the Rain
FOR CONTRAST
Guy Lombardo

Carl
Charles Mingus, Jelly Roll

Your Truly
Duke Ellington Orchestra, Johnny Hodges, Alto
The Star-Crossed Lovers (from the Shakespeare Suite)

Enjoy.

--SJH


No comments:

Post a Comment