Saturday, November 14, 2015

November 7, 2015

We had a productive time, especially since yours truly did not have to play the piano. Present were Jack  (trumpet), Tom and Gene and newcomer Berk (drums), Steve M and Steve H (altos), Sam (bass), Serdar (guitar), Carl (trombone) and Annie (vocals).

Jack got things rolling with Freddie the Freeloader (I-151). Steve H proposed I'm Just A Lucky So and So (II-186). Gene followed with another Ellington classic, Things Ain't What They Used To Be (III-401). Tom completely changed the mood with Mambo #5 (III-262). Serdar wanted Blue Bossa (I-50). Next up was Sam's call, How High The Moon (I-180). Rose Room (III-340) doesn't get out much, so Steve M pulled it out for a run. Back to Steve H, who called another oldie, Limehouse Blues (I-244). Jack wanted to work on one: St. James Infirmary (II-338). Gene got his way with Yesterdays (I-454). Steve M. requested You Took Advantage Of Me (I-460).

By this time, Carl and Annie had arrived, and we started the singer portion of the afternoon. Annie first asked to run some with the Christmas season in mind, My Favorite Things (I-285), followed by Baby It's Cold Outside (II-28). For the instrumental interlude, Carl wanted Robbin's Nest (II-330). We returned to vocals with I Wish You Love (III-172) and Never Let Me Go (III-299). Tom thought C-Jam Blues (II-74) would make a good instrumental break, which it did. Annie surprised us by turning to the next page: Candy (II-75). She finished the vocals with Gypsy In My Soul (I-169). We ended the afternoon with Sam's choice, Guilty (I-168).

Participant Picks
Jack D.
Wynton Marsalis Angel Eyes

Sam
Johnny Smith What Are You Doing For The Rest Of Your Life

Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment