Monday, October 26, 2015

October 17, 2015

I seem to be having trouble getting the blog out in a timely fashion these days.

Jack D and Jack K the trumpet players (well, the latter Jack plays drums as well, and was pressed into skins duty for the most part) came by. Steve M and Steve H on alto and Wes on tenor got things going. Ken came in later to play piano, much to our relief. The group was rounded out by Dick on vocals, Annie on vocals, and Carl on trombone.

When Jack D started warming up with You Are Too Beautiful (I-455), we decided to make that our starting point. Yours truly picked Easy To Love (I-128) at an easy loping tempo. Wes called for Song For My Father (I-373). Jack K, moving to trumpet, suggested Isn't It Romantic (I-219). Steve M was in an adventurous frame of mind, calling for the Real Book version of In The Mood (I-208), a tune we're all familiar with, but reading it in this context is not easy. Back to Jack D, we went with When I Fall In Love (I-439). Conversation brought up the St. Louis Blues (II-366), so I called it for the next song.

Once we got to the vocal portion, Jack K had to leave, but Ken and his piano were set up, and Wes and I took turns keeping time on the drums. Dick started things off with Mean To Me (III-274). I Wish You Love (III-172) was Annie's first pick. Dick went to a laid back tempo on How High The Moon (I-180). Annie responded by calling Sugar (I-387). For an instrumental break, we pressed Carl to make the choice, and he put Straight, No Chaser (I-380) on the table. Back to the vocals, Dick sang the seasonally appropriate Early Autumn (II-114). Just noodling around on the piano, Ken got us all going on a Blues in F, which Annie joined. Annie and Dick teamed up to do Lambert, Hendricks and Ross' Centerpiece. We ended the afternoon with Annie singing Exactly Like You (III-116).

Forgot to ask participants for this recording choices, so these are all mine.

Johhny Hartman, John Coltrane
You Are Too Beautiful

Lambert, Hendricks and Ross
Centerpiece

Diane Schuur
Easy To Love


Enjoy.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment