Sunday, October 11, 2015

October 3, 2015

We were a bit thin on personnel when this week’s workshop began: Wes (tenor), Gene (drums), Steve M (alto) and yours truly. So we dragged the piano out and I plunked out some chords until someone else came along who could do it better; no one did. Soon enough, Tony brought his bass, and we had a regular quintet. Steve M. called for one we had looked at the week before, Hoagy Carmichael’s bluesy Baltimore Oriole (II-34). We moved to Wes’ pick, the more mid-tempo Out of Nowhere (I-318). Because it was on the next page, I started doodling on Paper Doll (I-319), until others joined in. We then went with a sort of mid-tempo version of Cherokee. Looking for things I already had chord changes written out for, I asked for Here’s That Rainy Day. Wes wanted something a bit more bouncy, so we turned to Red Top (III-332). Gene the Obscure came up with No Moon At All (III-303), which we all enjoyed. Robbin’s Nest (II-330) was Wes’ next choice.


At this point, your scribe had to leave, but Steve M kept tabs on the remaining tunes. Lullaby of Birdland (I-256) from Wes, Straight No Chaser from Tony, and When Sunny Gets Blue (I-440) from Gene.

Participant Picks
This week we mourn the passing of alto saxophonist Phil Woods on 9/29/15. Here are two bits, one from early, one from late.

Phil Woods 1960

Phil Woods Master Class, 2012

Enjoy.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment