Monday, October 12, 2015

October 10, 2015

Lots of people, lots of tunes. Sam was back on the bass after a lot of absences for all kinds of reasons. Jack, whom we haven't seen all summer, was back on trumpet. Lets of regulars as well: Gene (drums), Steve M (alto), Wes (tenor), Tom (drums), Carl (trombone), Annie (vocals), with Joe (trumpet) and Elmer (tenor) rounding out the group. Oh, and me (alto).

It took us until almost noon to get rolling, but Sam finally called the first tune, Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73). Steve M was next up with Look for the Silver Lining (II-249). I got the next pick, and chose It Could Happen To You (II-204). Wes was next up, and decided on Caravan (II-77), flipping back and forth between Latin and swing. Jack decided to give Birk's Works (II-48) a go; we gave it the works. Tom chose a favorite of his, a very crisp rendition of St. Thomas (II-339). Gene went with something less obscure than usual, but tricky: A Night in Tunisia (I-302). Joe wanted to stick with the back and forth between swing and exotic, but chose to do so on My Little Suede Shoes (II-282). Elmer changed things up entirely by reaching back to Earl "Fatha" Hines' Rosetta (II-332).

Now it was singing' time, and Annie got things going with the classic ballad Body and Soul (I-57), followed by a mid-tempo Dearly Beloved (I-103). Sam, seeing his opening, looked back to the page before and chose Dear Old Stockholm (I-102) as an instrumental. Two more for Annie: So In Love (III-362), and On A Clear Day (III-308). For the instrumental break, Steve M suggested How High The Moon (I-180); even Annie took a chorus. The Party's Over (III-313) and I Could Write A Book (I-186) were Annie's next choices. Carl picked the next instrumental, Blue Monk (I-52). We wrapped things up  with a vocal on I Wish You Love (III-172).

Participant Picks
Sam’s come up with a long one: Stan Getz and Chet Baker live in Stockholm in 1983. However, it contains interviews and footage as well—in Swedish. So be prepared. But dig the music.


Annie asked for Gypsy In My Soul. Here are three:
Ella Fitzgerald
Anita O’Day
Connie Evingson

Tom asked for Song For My Father by local artist Laura Caviani. Couldn’t find that one, and I put up the Horace Silver version not too long ago, so I picked these two versions:
George Benson
Dee Dee Bridgewater


Wes put in a word for Caravan, no particular version. Check out these.
Duke Ellington (Juan Tizol on valve trombone) 1952
Michel Petrucciani
Dizzy Gillespie 6 (1987)

Enjoy.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment