Wednesday, September 4, 2019

August 31, 2019

Next Time: Sat., 9/7, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

Sam's Add-A-Tune: Miles Ahead (II-264)

We had some fun for a while: Sam (trumpet and trombone), Jack K. (trumpet), Steve H. (piano, alto), Tony (bass), Raphael (guitar), and Steve M (alto).

We began with Samba de Orfeu (III-344), Sam's Add-A-Tune. Jack K. has a very different mood in mind with Four (I-149). Your scribe went full standard with Satin Doll (I-349). Tony stayed in that groove, calling for Lullaby of Birdland (I-256). Raphael reached into his back of tricks and found Skating In Central Park (I-360).

Sam went to Little Boat (I-245) to open the next round. Jack K. was feeling the mood on Isn't It Romantic (I-219). Yours truly picked up the pace (but not too much) with Cherokee (I-77).

Sam, Tony and Jack all cleared out, but Steve M checked in as we moved to Raphael's choice, Perdido (II-311). Steve M opted for the friendly Robbins Nest (II-330). Back to your scribe, we turned to show tunes on People Will Say We're In Love (II-310). Even more surprising was Raphael's movie choice, Moon River (II-274). Back to something more originally jazz, Steve M called John Lewis' Afternoon In Paris (I-12). Yours truly had been thinking recently about Thou Swell (I-411). While Raphael packed up, the two Steves took things out with a duet on Autumn Leaves (I-39).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment