Wednesday, August 28, 2019

August 24, 2019

Next Time: Sat., 8/31, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

Sam's Add-A-Tune: Samba de Orfeu (III-344)

A slightly shortened version this week, but fun while it lasted. Present were Sam (trumpet, trombone), Roger (tenor), Steve H (piano), Raphael (bass), Wes (tenor), and Carl (trombone).

Sam's Add-A-Tune was a Book V number, I Never Knew, so Sam had some handouts. Roger turned right away to the classic ballad, Body And Soul (I-57), which takes awhile, but it was worth it. Your scribe flipped the tempo with a swingy take on Thou Swell (I-411). Raphael moved us back and forth between Latin and swing on I'll Remember April (I-197). Robbin's Nest (II-330) was Wes' choice, to everyone's relief.

Round 2 got going on Sam's pick, Charlie Parker's My Little Suede Shoes (II-282). Roger turned us to John Lewis' tribute tune, Django (I-114), with its dual tempos. Yours truly decided to something really standard, Ellington's Take The A Train (I-399). Carl let Raphael pick the tempo on his choice, So What (I-364). Raphael had us take on the Bill Evans' oddly harmonized but lovely Time Remembered (I-413). Wes called one of his favorites, Along Came Betty (II-22).

Sam started a third set with Song For My Father (I-373). Carl got the last call, Autumn Leaves (I-39). But then we had a mass exodus, and our revels ended.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment