Thursday, September 12, 2019

September 7, 2019

Next Time: Sat. 9/14, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)


A nice workable combo made an appearance: Steve C (piano), Tony (bass), Raphael (guitar), Sam (trumpet, trombone), Steve H (soprano and percussion), Wes (tenor) and Carl (trombone).

Sam's Add-A-Tune, Miles Ahead (II-264), got us rolling. Your scribe, having recently found a small knot of good tunes in Book II, called for the blues tune Tenor Madness (II-390). Steve C. wanted something else entirely, and reached back for Tangerine (I-386). Feeling it was time for a ballad, Tony chose When Sunny Gets Blue (I-440). Raphael got us working with Si Danco Samba (III-360). Wes called on old favorite Blues For Alice (I-55).

Coming full circle, Sam opted for a medium-speed Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise (II-355). Yours truly, holding tight to his knot of tunes, went with These Foolish Things (II-392). Carl looked at the next page for Things To Come (II-393). Steve C. was feeling more traditional, calling Beautiful Love (I-40). Tony got all ballad-y again, but everyone had a nice solo on My Funny Valentine (I-287). Raphael changed the mood with the old Basie standard Until I Met You (II-409), or Corner Pocket if you aren't singing it (which we did not). Wes decided on Along Came Betty (III-22).

Sam changed speeds with Pent Up House (I-324). Your scribe changed mellowed them out with In A Mellow Tone (I-206). Carl got all hypothetical with If I Were A Bell (II-194). We finished off the afternoon with St. Thomas (II-339).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment