Sunday, October 24, 2010

Timing is everything.

OK, this report is over a week late. Jeez. I'll make up for it with an embarrassing photo in which I appear to be impersonating the latter-day Jerry Garcia. Jeez. Don't get me wrong, I love Jerry's playing and the Grateful Dead along with the Allman Brothers were my introduction to improvisational music. But I don't particularly want to share morbid obesity with him. That's me on the right with Jeff (bass) on the left. In my defense, my wife says I'm not as fat as it appears.

This is the Jazz Workshop report for 10/16/10. Yes, eight days ago. This is not the report for the Jazz Workshop which happened yesterday because I missed that one.

On 10/16/10, the attendees included Bill (uke)- who I have been mis-naming as "Dan" week after week after week, Josh (banjo), Jeff (bass), Gene (drums), Paul (keys), Wes (tenor sax), Tim (guitar) and vocalists Annie, Matt and Cheryl.

In the photo to the left, you will find two jazz musicians even though it looks more like a bluegrass jam at first glance. That's Josh on the banjo and Bill (not "Dan") on the ukulele.

The tunes de jour included "Misty," "Girl From Ipanema," "Autumn Leaves," "Freedom," "Bop Shop," "We'll Be Together Again," "East Of The Sun," "Tune Up," "Imagination," "Late, Late Show," "Angel Eyes," "Close Your Eyes," "Dream A Little Dream Of Me," "Summer's End," "Call Me Irresponsible," "Let's Fall In Love," "Touch Of Your Lips," "Miss Otis Regrets," "Basin Street Blues," "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans," "I'll Be Around," "Here's That Rainy Day" and "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered."

And here we've got (from the left) Matt, Wes, Annie and Paul. Annie is the Jazz Workshop coordinator; it was her husband Sam Favors who started the Workshop about 1978.

OK, that's it for last week. Hopefully some more responsible participant (than me, anyway) at the Jazz Workshop this week took notes. My apologies for my inattentiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment