Monday, August 19, 2019

August 17, 2019

Next Time: Sat. 8/24, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)


Sam's Add-A-Tune: I Never Knew (V-186) [Sam will supply sheet music in concert key.)

Another light attendance, which is not entirely surprising in the summer. With us this time were Sam (bass, trumpet, trombone), John (trombone), Steve H (piano, soprano), Wes (tenor) and Carl (trombone).

Sam's Add-A-Tune for the session was Manteca (II-259), which is supposed to be a Latin thing, but somehow came out for us us as something not quite either Latin or swing. We got through it with some dignity, though. John opted to take a ride on Route 66 (II-334). Your scribe hadn't called Polka Dots And Moonbeams (II-318) at the workshop that he could remember, so that was nice. Wes decided on a somewhat slowed version of Groovin' High (I-166).

Sam, up again, pulled out Jordu (I-227). John's second choice was Black Nile (I-48). Carl took his first swing with a swingy Autumn Leaves (I-39). Yours truly thought a little Django would be fun, and we played Nuages (I-307). Sam, having changed seats to play bass, called Bluesette (I-56). Wes downgrade the difficulty of his choice with Red Top (III-332).

John got in one more before leaving, asking for Blue Bossa (I-50). Carl needed an Ellington fix, Mood Indigo (I-279). At Wes' suggestion, your scribe went with Mr. P.C. (I-276). Out of nowhere, Sam called for Out Of Nowhere (I-318). Wes went back to more difficult with Ornithology (I-317).

Carl took his last turn and asked for Lady Bird (I-235). Yours truly decided for the decidedly strange progressions of Unforgettable (III-420). We finished off the day with Sam's pick, that Summer Samba, So Nice (I-362).

--SJH

--

No comments:

Post a Comment