Thursday, May 3, 2018

April 28, 2018

Next Session: Saturday, May 5, Hook and Ladder (Lake and Minnehaha), 1-5pm


Early Work-On tunes: Nostalgia in Times Square (I-306); Once I Loved (I-311); Dear Old Stockholm (I-102); Pent Up House (I-304)
Add-A-Tune: So Nice (I-362)

Sorry for the delay in reporting on last week's Workshop, but here it finally is.

After getting set up, we got rolling about 1:20. Present were Sam (trumpet/trombone), Jack K (trumpet), Jack D (trumpet), Wes (tenor), Steve M (alto), Steve H (alto), Raphael (bass), newcomer Jeremy (piano), Craig (guitar), Annie (vocals), Carl (trombone), Serdar (guitar), and Ken (piano).

All but the last five were present when we did our Work-On tunes: Reflections in Blue BR2, Black Coffee (I-45), Four Brothers (II-138), and Take The A Train (I-398). Carl, Annie and Craig came in during the opening work.

We started the regular fun just after 2:00 with Wes' pick, the tricky Joy Spring (I-229), which we took at a manageable tempo. Carl had brought material from home, a version of The Preacher. Jack D took the next call, I Remember You (II-179). With so many people present, and a lot of solos, this was all we got to before the Vocal portion began at 3:00.

Annie was ready to go with I Love You (I-190). Victor took two. We struggled to get Stardust (II-367) going, but Avalon (II-22) went just fine. Annie took her second, Get Out Of Town (II-148). Steve M got the choice on the instrumental break, It Might As Well Be Spring (II-   ). Victor went to another traditional standard, Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73). Annie opted for My Funny Valentine (I-287) next. Victor surprised us with his choice of Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise (II-355). Annie rocked the room with A Good Man Is Hard To Find (III-133). Serdar got the call on the next instrumental, Billie's Bounce (II-44). Victor wanted to work on In The Still Of The Night (II-198), but we could not get the rhythm of it. Annie finished the afternoon with Broadway (I-61). Unusually, we ended the afternoon around 4:30 due to a lot of early departures.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment