Thursday, May 17, 2018

May 12, 2018

Upcoming: Saturday, May 19, 1-5pm, Hook and Ladder (Lake and Minnehaha)

Work-On Tunes: Recorda Me (I-337), Dear Old Stockholm (I-102), Have You Met Miss Jones (I-172), Now's The Time (II-293)
Add-A-Tune: Sister Sadie (III-355)

We were a bit of a reduced group, but in a satisfying combination: Sam (trumpet and trombone), Steve C (piano), Raphael (bass), Serdar (guitar) and Steve H (alto). Ray stopped by briefly with some news, but did not stay to play.

We began with the Work-On tunes for the week: Red Garland's Blues By Five (III-59), Recorda Me (I-337), Benny Golson's Blues March (II-62), and Add-A-Tune, Wes Montgomery's Road Song (I-334).

Returning to the regular order, Raphael got the first nod with Ornithology (I-317). Yours truly chose to alternate between Latin and swing on More (III-284), which was less successful than it sounded in my head. Sam opted for a Latin version of All The Things You Are (I-22). Serdar went with a favorite, Black Orpheus (I-49). Steve C, finally forced to pick, went with a somewhat swing version of Darn That Dream (I-99). Back to Raphael, we took up Ceora (I-72) next. Serdar returned to one from the previous week, Tenor Madness (II-390). We'd had a lot of Latin and blues by this time, so your scribe called the 3/4 Up Jumped Spring (I-425). Sam went one step further by choosing the 5/4 Take Five. Steve C pulled up Ellington's Cottontail (I-90), which we did not play to speed, but it hopped along just fine, thanks. Raphael countered with John Lewis' Django (I-114). Another blues tune for Serdar, this time Billie's Bounce (II-44). This writer decided on a mid-tempo swing version of I Could Have Danced All Night (III-156). Sam chose to combine the variant blues and the 3/4 with West Coast Blues (I-436). Raphael found another nice John Lewis song, this time Afternoon In Paris (I-12). Serdar called old standby Song For My Father (I-373). Sam convinced him to stick around for a couple more minutes with St. Thomas (II-339).

Participant Picks
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Blues March

Wes Montgomery, Road Song

Red Garland, Blues By Five

The Modern Jazz Quartet with Phil Woods, Django

I Could Have Danced All Night
Andre Previn Trio
Shelley Manne and His Friends (same people as previous)
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

Wes Montgomery, West Coast Blues


Sonny Rollins w/John Coltrane, Tenor Madness

Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment