Sunday, April 22, 2018

April 21, 2018

Next Week (April 28): Should be back at the Hook and Ladder, 1-5pm.

Early Segment work: BR-2, Black Coffee (I-45), I Remember Clifford (I-192), Four Brothers, (II-138), How Insensitive (I-181)

Last week's 18" of snow are mostly gone, and the Workshop reassembled at TowerLight: Sam (trumpet and trombone), Steve C (piano), Terry (guitar), Jack D (trumpet), Raphael (bass and drums), Jack K (trumpet and drums), Craig (guitar), Waymond (bass and drums), Serdar (guitar), Carl (trombone), Annie (vocals), and Victor (vocals).

We worked for an hour on tunes for gigs, coming up with openings and closings. We began with BR-2 (Reflection In Blue), then turned to Softly As In A Morning Sunrise (II-355), Honeysuckle Rose (II-167), Bluesette (I-52) and St. Thomas (II-339).

Turning to the regular business of the Workshop, Jack D got the first call, All of You (I-21). Jack K was up next, opting for easy swing/ballad My Romance (I-289). Terry decided on the straight-up ballad Misty (I-277). Steve C thought it might be good to up the tempo with Indiana (II-201). Serdar was feeling bluesy, taking us to St. James Infirmary (II-338).

Annie got the vocals going with a vocal version of Blue Monk (II-52), and followed it up with the bouncy Let There Be Love (III-236). For an instrumental,  Raphael chose On Green Dolphin Street (IV-321). Realizing enough people had Volume IV to make it worth looking for some vocals, Annie tried out several that did not work before settling on Save Your Love For Me (IV-376). Victor began his afternoon as usual with Avalon (I-25). Annie pulled up Broadway (I-61) so that everyone would have some fun. Victor sang the verse a cappella before the rhythm section dropped in behind him on Stardust (II-367). Waymond got the next instrumental call, opting for Alfie's Theme (II-14). Annie was joined by everyone on Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73). Victor went with another familiar tune, All of Me (I-20). To wrap up, Sam requested a reprise of St. Thomas.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment