Thursday, January 4, 2024

December 30, 2023

Next Time: Sat., 1/6, 11am-2pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale Ave., St. Louis Park)

You'll find us in the basement theater. It is advertised in the building as the Jazz Jam. Bring your own music stand.

The number of players has picked up, and everyone seems to be enjoying it! This week we had Steve H (piano, soprano), Raphael (bass), W Rayford (drums), Jan (trumpet), John (trombone, piano), Jack (trumpet), Serdar (guitar), and Sam (trumpet, trombone) celebrating his 95th birthday.

We began with a call by yours truly, My Romance (I-265). Raphael turned the page to the little-known (by us, anyhow) Memories Of Tomorrow (I-267). Jan had the next choice, going with One Note Samba (I-314). W Rayford opted for the generally mysterious sounding Stolen Moments (I-384), but at a medium swing. John's turn brought us Dizzy Gillespie's Manteca (II-259). Sam was ready with his call, Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise (II-359). Jack chose Miles Davis' Solar (I-363). Serdar wrapped up the first go-around with Alice In Wonderland (I-17). 

Your scribe had to leave quite early, during Alice, but has every reason to believe that the playing continued in his absence.

Hope to see you next time!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment