Sunday, November 17, 2019

November 16, 2019

Next Time: Sat., 11/23, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)


Sam's Add-A-Tune: Black Nile (I-48)

A small group again, but Jack D (trumpet) made an appearance after a long absence to join Raphael (bass), and Steve H (piano, soprano). Annie (vocals) and Carl (trombone) joined us for the last hour.

Jack took the first call, How Deep Is The Ocean (III-xxx). Your scribe opted for All Blues (I-18). Raphael found the harmonically predictable but melodically interesting Lover Come Back To Me (III-255). Jack chose old favorite My Funny Valentine (I-287). Back to yours truly, we went to the even older standard All Of Me (I-20). Raphael dug out the unfamiliar My Silent Love (III-296), which worked out great. Jack's last choice for the afternoon was Angel Eyes (I-28). Your scribe turned to a fun medium-up version of Easy To Love (I-128). Joyce's Samba (III-216) was another fun find by Raphael.

Vocal time began with Annie choosing Poor Butterfly (III-324), which by all reports went much better than last week. Carl took an instrumental call, Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73). Annie got the call for the last four. The Birth Of The Blues (II-49), Close Your Eyes (II-86), Come Rain Or Come Shine (III-xxx), and did a duet with the bass on It Could Happen To You.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment