Sunday, November 24, 2019

November 23, 2019

Next Time: Sat, 11/30, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

Sam's Add-A-Tune: Air Mail Special (II-13)

On hand for a shortened version of the Workshop were, variously, Sam (trombone), Jack D (trumpet), Jack K (trumpet), Raphael (bass), Steve H ("piano," soprano), and Ari (trumpet).

The festivities began with Sam's Add-A-Tune, Black Nile (I-xx). Jack K got the follow-up call, Out Of Nowhere (I-318). Your scribe heard Gypsy In My Soul (I-169) in the car on the way to the Workshop, and thought it would be worth a try. Raphael found a fun 3/4-time tune, Masquerade (III-269). Jack D requested one of his favorites, My Funny Valentine (I-287). Ari, freshly arrived as Sam was leaving, was unfamiliar with the moving Ellington piece, Come Sunday (I-82); now he knows.

Back to Jack K, who opted for a lightly swinging My Foolish Heart (I-286). Your truly pulled out another bit of Ellingtonia, I'm Beginning To See The Light (I-200). Raphael challenged us with the tricky Charlie Parker piece, Segment (III-xxx). Ari went to the much smoother All Blues (I-18). Your scribe found more Ellington, the Johnny Hodges vehicle Warm Valley (II-412). We finished the afternoon with a Latin version of More (III-284).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment