Saturday, July 13, 2019

July 6, 2019

Next Time: Sat., July 13, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

Sam's Add-A-Tune: Parisian Thoroughfare (II-307)

We began with the unlikely combination of Sam (bass, trumpet, trombone), Raphael (guitar), and Steve H (piano, soprano), who were eventually joined by Wes (tenor), Carl (trombone), and Ari (trumpet). 

While it was just the three of us, we apparently played every instrument we brought on each song. Sam's Add-A-Tune, Summertime (IV-4xx), got us off to a good start. Yours truly opted for It Could Happen To You (II-204). Raphael went to the classic ballad, The Nearness Of You (II-285). Sam got us hopping on the next call, Jeannine (II-212). Wes changed the mood with Blue Trane (I-54). Ari tried one he'd never heard before, Big Nick (I-44). Carl was feeling Ellingtonian, and drew Mood Indigo (I-279). Picking up the pace, your scribe called Thou Swell (I-411). Raphael decided on a bit of Latin, One Note Samba (I-314).  This time around, Ari looked for a tune we all knew well, and went to Misty (I-277). Sam dropped us into a medium groove on Broadway (I-61). Carl surprised us with My Little Suede Shoes (II-282). Wes further surprised with Cousin Mary (II-93). Together, Wes and your scribe asked for Along Came Betty (III-22). Carl took another bow with After You've Gone (III-12). Sam got the last regular choice, All The Things You Are (I-22), and we finished off with a spirited version of St. Thomas (II-339).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment