Tuesday, July 30, 2019

July 27, 2019

Next Time: Sat, 8/3, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

Your scribe arrived late and left early, so Raphael took charge of the notes. On hand were Raphael (guitar), Steve H (piano, soprano), Tony (bass), Sam (trumpet, trombone), John (trombone), Ari (trumpet), Wes (tenor), Carl (trombone).

Sam kicked things off with Straight, No Chaser (I-386). John called the classic Satin Doll (I-349). Tony got us grooving to Stanley Turrentine's Sugar (I-387). Raphael surprised us with the 3/4 Oh What A Beautiful Morning (II-296). Yours truly wanted to play soprano on Indiana (II-xxx). Ari had, amazingly, never had a chance to play On The Sunny Side Of The Street (II-298), so we indulged him.

The next round started with Sam changing the feel of things with Nica's Dream (I-299). Wes went to the fun Have You Met Miss Jones (I-172). John messed with us with Wave (I-431). Carl brought us back to earth, opting for In A Mellow Tone (I-206). Tony chose a more ballad-y version of My Romance (I-289). Raphael pulled one out of the hat with One Foot In The Gutter (II-300). Wes surprised no one with his choice of Groovin' High (I-166). Sam's last call was It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing (I-244). Carl ended the afternoon with Blue Bossa (I-50).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment