Thursday, March 14, 2019

March 9, 2019

Next Time: Sat. 3/16, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)


Not a huge group showed (the weather forecast being so foreboding--not to mention incorrect), but all ready for action: Raphael (bass), Sam (trumpet and trombone), Jack K (trumpet), Roger (tenor and piano), Ari (trumpet), and Steve H (alto and piano).

Sam got things rolling with Four Brothers (II-138), which went surprisingly smoothly. Jack K opted for Footprints (I-144), which actually gave us more trouble, but we started to get the hang of it. Yours truly called the ballad For All We Know (I-145), but not too slow. Raphael reached into his bag of surprises for A Taste Of Honey (III-386), with its occasionally unusual phrasing. Roger found one very suitable for his sound, Seven Steps to Heaven (I-356), which proved difficult to get started, but eventually we found a groove.

On the second round, Sam gave us Dear Old Stockholm (I-102), another tricky tune to take at speed, but we held our own. Jack turned to a fun tune, Teach Me Tonight (III-387). Ari opted for something simpler, Freddie Freeloader (I-151). Before heading out early, your scribe asked for Don't Get Around Much Anymore (I-122). Raphael decided on the lesser-known Rodgers and Hart tune, Mimi (III-278). Before it was even his turn, Roger was suggesting Parker's Au Privave (I-34), and got his wish.

For the final spin, Sam turned to Mr. Magic (II-268). Ari got the nod to pick Straight No Chaser (I-386). The fun closed out with Roger's choice of Blue Bossa (I-50).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment