Wednesday, March 6, 2019

March 2, 3019

Next Time: Saturday, March 9, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

FJF prep: Four Brothers (II-138)

Another voiceless session as only the instrumentalists made an appearance. Raphael (bass) was our notetaker, and he was joined by Jack (trumpet), John (trombone), Roger (tenor), Jeff (piano), Carl (trombone), Ari (trumpet) and the indomitable Sam (trumpet, trombone).

Things got underway with Jack putting in the request for The Nearness Of You (II-285). Jeff got the next call, A Fine Romance (I-190). Raphael was next up, and chose Black Nile (I-48). John wasn't sure what to choose, calling Yes And No (I-452). Roger put a twist into the fabric by calling Giant Steps (I-157) as a samba. Sam went to this week's Add-A-Tune and possible FJF number, Sonny Rollins' Pent Up House (I-324). 

The second round began with Jack's call, Tune Up (I-418). Somehow, Sam got another swing right away, requesting Summer Samba (I-362). Ari was in the rotation now, and stayed with that summer feel with Wave (I-431). Carl, also now on hand, went to old standby In A Mellow Tone (I-206). Jeff up next turned to the classic ballad, Body and Soul (I-57). Raphael opted for a little Parker and Au Privave (I-37). 

Apparently missing some people by this point, the rotation returned to Sam, who finally broke the spell of Volume I by calling Killer Joe (II-229). Ari went with something less familiar, Barbara (II-36). Carl brought things home with 2 Degrees East, 3 Degrees West (II-408).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment