Tuesday, January 22, 2019

January 19, 2018

NEXT TIME: Saturday, January 26, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale Ave., St. Louis Park)


No vocalists this week, so more time to work on the playing, and some of these tunes were tricky. Present were Sam (trumpet and trombone), Raphael (bass), Craig (guitar), Terry (guitar), Steve H (soprano, piano, rhythm), Jack K (trumpet, drums), Jeff (piano), and Wes (tenor).

Sam got us off to a good start with Out Of Nowhere (I-318). Jack K kept us in the groove with Have You Met Miss Jones (I-172). Craig extended our time in the mid-tempo swing tunes with In The Still Of The Night (II-198). Jeff shifted out focus with a ballad-y version of I Hear A Rhapsody (II-177). Raphael consulted his list, and threw us all on our heads with Coltrane's Moment's Notice (I-280), which resulted in quite a workout. Terry helped us relax with an easy swing take on Misty (I-277). Along came Wes with Along Came Betty (III-22). Your scribe took the opportunity to lift the mood with It's Delovely (III-273). 

Around the circle once more, Sam opted for Denzil Best's semi-bop Move (II-280). Jeff went all-bop with Boplicity (I-58). We played neither of these tunes to speed. Raphael took us right over the top with another one-word title, Equipoise (I-134). Terry changed directions entirely by calling Moon River (II-279). Wes brought us back to slow bop with a speed-governed version of Donna Lee (I-120). Yours truly, by now on piano, asked for Lady Bird (I-235). Sam decided Four Brothers (II-138) would be fun, and it worked out fine. Back to your scribe (people were heading out), we played a swingy version of I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (III-xxx). We finished off with Raphael's choice, Wave (I-431). 

Participant Picks


George Shearing Quintet
Move

John Coltrane
Moment’s Notice

Max Roach
Equipoise

Paul Desmond
I’ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face
Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment