Monday, January 21, 2019

January 12, 2019

We had a usual-sized crowd: Terry (guitar), Jack K (trumpet), Steve H (alto and piano), Wes (tenor), Raphael (bass), Sam (trumpet and trombone), Victor (vocals), Annie (vocals) and Carl (trombone).

Jack kicked us off with his selection of Pennies from Heaven (II-309). Your scribe pulled out one of his favorites, Polka Dots and Moonbeams (III-318). Raphael challenged us with Recorda Me (I-337). Terry opted for a intriguing Stella By Starlight (I-382). Golson's Along Came Betty (III-22) was Wes' first choice. Sam surprised us with Parker's Au Privave (I-37). Back to Jack, we took a spin on Take The A Train (I-398).

Victor had arrived a little before this, so we got the vocals started with Basin Street Blues (II-37), followed by the immortal Stardust (II-367). Yours truly grabbed the instrumental opportunity by calling for Kalmar and Ruby's Three Little Words (III-406). Raphael worked us again with McCoy Tyner's Three Flowers (I-412). Annie and Carl had set up by this point, so Annie took two: Dearly Beloved (I-103) and Cherokee (I-77). Victor took two more: Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73) and Caravan (I-) which did not go nearly so well. Sam picked an instrumental, Lucky Southern (I-255). Annie took two more, this time One Note Samba (I-xxx) and My Foolish Heart (I-286). We took it out with an instrumental version of Four (I-149), though Annie got in a vocal chorus as well. Didn't know that one had any words.

Participant Picks

McCoy Tyner
Three Flowers

Anita O’Day
Four


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment