Sunday, September 9, 2018

September 8, 2018

Next Time: Saturday, September 15, 11am-3pm, TowerLight, 3601 Wooddale Ave., St. Louis Park

Sam's Add-A-Tune: Cousin Mary (II-93)

A three-man start at TowerLight this week: Steve C (piano), Raphael (bass) and Steve H (soprano) got things underway until Annie (vocals), Carl (trombone) and Victor (vocals) arrived.

We began with Steve C's pick, Blue Bossa (I-50). We began our delving into the unfamiliar with Raphael's option, Masquerade (III-269). Next up was your scribe's choice, Daahoud (I-96), though considerably below full speed. Steve C went back briefly to the more standard How High The Moon (I-180). Raphael turned us back to the sight reading with Isotope (I-222). We played Invitation (I-217) as a ballad.

Annie got us rolling on the vocals with My Melancholy Baby (III-295). Carl had us take another shot at So What (I-364). Annie took another two: Let There Be Love (III-236) and Look To The Rainbow (III-249). Yours truly decided to pull out Irving Berlin's oddly divided Let's Face The Music And Dance (III-238). Back to Annie for a pair, this time Poor Butterfly (III-324) and Fine And Mellow (III-122). Steve C got the instrumental break, choosing Lullaby Of The Leaves (III-260).

Victor was on hand by now, and took a spin on Stardust (II-367). Annie took another two before departing: I See Your Face Before Me (IV-192), and Goin' Out Of My Head (IV-150). Victor opted for Basin Street Blues (II-37), before Raphael called the instrumental Miles Ahead (II-264). Victor took us out with two classics: All Of Me (I-20), and Blue Skies (II-58).

Participant Picks

Daahoud
Clifford Brown and Max Roach
Ray Bryant

Isotope
Joe Henderson

Invitation
Bronislaw Kaper
Stan Getz
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

I See Your Face Before Me
Tony Bennett
Mildred Bailey
Kevin Mahogany and Roy Hargrove


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment