Sunday, August 26, 2018

August 25, 2018

Next Time: Saturday, September 1, 1-5 pm, Hook and Ladder (Lake and Minnehaha)
Add-A-Tune: Cousin Mary (II-93)

CANCEL! CANCEL! NO JAZZ WORKSHOP THIS WEEK!Hook and Ladder is closed for the weekend; no arrangement with TowerLight has been made.


Present this week were Sam (trumpet and trombone), Wes (tenor), Raphael (bass), Steve H (piano and soprano), Craig (guitar), Victor (vocals), Annie (vocals), Carl (trombone), and Dick (vocals).

We got underway with Little Boat (I-245), Sam's Add-A-Tune. Raphael got the next call, choosing the tricky Black Diamond (I-46). Yours truly went way more traditional with For All We Know (I-145). Victor took a spin as an instrumentalist with Basin Street Blues (II-37). Craig, having solved his mechanical difficulties, opted for Pure Imagination (III-327). Annie, also in instrumentalists mode, called I'm Beginning To See The Light (I-200). Carl got us to do all the parts on So What (I-364). Wes decided on an old favorite, Doxy (II-111). Sam brought the instrumental segment to a close with Cantaloupe Island (II-76).

Victor kicked off the vocalist portion with Stardust (II-367). Annie opted for something a bit bouncier, I'm Old-Fashioned (III-186). Dick's first choice was In A Mellow Tone (I-206). Victor got us looking through our books until we came up with Deep Purple (IV-103). Annie gave us a good workout with the shifting 3/4-4/4 signatures of Little Girl Blue (III-243). Dick went to I Should Care (I-194). Your scribe got to call the instrumental break, and we did an alternating Latin/swing version of Softly As In A Morning Sunrise (II-355); it sounded better in his head.

The vocalists took another round, Victor kicking things off with Ain't Misbehavin' (III-13). Annie tackled the ballad If I Loved You (II-192) with a light swing. Dick's third was a favorite, Out Of Nowhere (I-318). Victor took one last spin on Blue Skies (II-58). Annie went full ballad on I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance (II-173). Dick turned to Have You Met Miss Jones (I-172). For one last combined vocal/instrumental, Dick suggested Just Friends (IV-237), with everyone taking a a chorus.

Participant Picks

Little Girl Blue
Nina Simone
Peter Nero
Chet Baker
Dave Brubeck


Just Friends
Sarah Vaughan
Dexter Gordon
Charlie Parker
John Coltrane and Friends


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment