Wednesday, August 22, 2018

August 18, 2018

Next Time: Saturday, August 25, 1-5pm, Hook and Ladder (Lake and Minnehaha)

Sam's Add-A-Tune: Little Boat (I-245)

Your scribe was a little late, though not as late as originally expected, and not late enough to miss the downbeat on Sam's Add-A-Tune. Present were Sam (trumpet, trombone), Jeremy (piano), Alex (guitar), Steve M (alto), Victor (vocals), Craig (guitar), Terry (harmonica), Steve H (soprano, piano), and Dick (vocals). 

The Add-A-Tune was What's New (I-420). Things picked up slightly with Jeremy's choice, Stolen Moments (I-384), followed by Alex's pick, Nica's Dream (I-299). Terry called All Blues (I-18). After so many relatively slow tunes (though All Blues got a little rambunctious at times), Raphael changed gears with Tizol and Ellington's Perdido (II-311). Craig completed the first round of instrumental only with Till There Was You (II-400). 

Working without a microphone, Victor got a few shots at vocals, going with favorites Stardust (II-xxx) and Avalon (II-25). Steve M called the instrumental break, Why Do I Love You (II-425). Somewhere in here, several people left, and yours truly took over on piano. Victor opted for Blue Skies (II-58) next. Dick stopped in for a visit and decided to sing one, I Could Write A Book (I-186). Victor took another, Bye Bye Blackbird (II-xx). Your reporter got a chance and called for It Could Happen To You (II-204). Terry opted for another Miles Davis tune, Blue and Green (I-51). Raphael chose one that he wanted to do last week, Recorda Me (I-xxx). We finished off with Steve M's surprise choice, Charlie Parker's Quasimodo (IV-352). 

Participant Picks

Quasimodo
Charlie Parker
Paul Motian & the Electric Bebop Band

Blue Skies
Duke Ellington

Blue and Green
Miles Davis

Perdido
Duke Ellington (1940s)
Duke Ellington (1950s)
Duke Ellington (1960s)
Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie

Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment