Tuesday, June 12, 2018

June 9, 2018

Next session: Saturday, June 16, 1-5pm, the Hook and Ladder (Minnehaha and Lake).

Your scribe stood alone for a few minutes after 1:00, but then Steve M (alto) and Raphael (bass) arrived, and with me on the piano, we got things rolling with Raphael's pick, Well You Needn't (I-4xx). Steve M went with Sentimental Journey (II-3xx). Wes (tenor) had arrived to join us, and called Robbin's Nest (II-3xx). In came Serdar (guitar), with yours truly choosing Autumn Leaves (I-xx). Craig (guitar) wandered in, while Serdar offered Tenor Madness (II-390). Jim D (alto, clarinet) came in during Craig's choice, Goin' Out Of My Head (IV-150). Raphael took another, calling Blue Bossa (I-50) as a quicker samba. Jim D opted for Slipped Disc (II-353), and when that turned out quite confusing (we had conflicting versions), he went with I Thought About You (II-180).

Annie (vocals) and Carl (trombone) had set up by now, with Sam (trumpet and trombone) coming in shortly after we began the vocal portion. Annie started with Let There Be Love (III-236), and followed that up with Take The A Train (I-398), with solos for everyone. Wes went with Red Top (III-322) as an instrumental. Never Let Me Go (III-299) was Annie's next song, followed by Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars (I-335). Another instrumental was in order, and Sam pulled out Sister Sadie (III-355). Annie then sang I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (I-195), and then Easy To Love (I-128). Again with the instrumentals, Carl got his way with Blue Monk (I-52). We finished up with Annie's last choice, Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73).

Participant Pick

Slipped Disc
Benny Goodman
--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment