Tuesday, March 6, 2018

March 3, 2018

Next Time: Hook and Ladder, Minnehaha and Lake, 1-5pm.


Your scribe (alto, piano) arrived to be available to open the Workshop, only to find three others already inside: Jack D (trumpet), Terry (guitar), and newcomer Ross (tenor, piano), who is clearly no newcomer to his music. Ross had arrived at noon because of some misinformation in a Craigslist ad, so I hope we can get that fixed soon as well.

Also, we were informed that a few weeks back, we had used some of the Hook's electronic equipment improperly, and not returned it to its original status, and so were forbidden to use any of their amps or speakers. We want to apologize to the Hook and Ladder for any mistaken assumptions we made, and hope to be back in their good graces in the near future.

In short order, Raphael (bass) and Waymond (drums, bass, alto) arrived, and while Waymond and this writer got the drums up from the basement, the group began with Jack's pick, But Beautiful (I-62). Yours truly opted for Line for Lyons (III-240), which we did sans piano but a bit swingy. I moved from alto to piano while Terry decided to tackle the straightforward blues tune Freddie Freeloader (I-151). Back to alto for me when Raphael called Mas Que Nada (III-268). Ross managed both piano and tenor, with Waymond moving to bass for his choice, Confirmation (I-87), though we had to ask him to bring it down to mid-speed; he went back to drums for the remainder.  Ross continued on dual duty with his own pick, All The Things You Are (I-22).

Victor (vocals), Craig (guitar), Annie (vocals), and Carl S (trombone) had arrived variously during the instrumental period, and Carl called the last one, Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West (II-408). We lost Ross before the vocals began, which is too bad, because a lot of other good players had yet to arrive: old friends Lachel (trumpet), son Leithieo (trombone), their friend from Texas, Rene (soprano), Carl A (soprano), and finally Sam (trombone, trumpet) and Jim D (clarinet). With the influx of horns, this guy moved permanently to piano.

Annie, as usual, got things rolling vocally, starting with Let There Be Love (III-236). Victor took another swing at Avalon (II-25). Annie pulled out old Ellington standby Take The A Train (I-398). Victor opted for Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73). We took an instrumental break with Jack's choice, a gentle version of It Never Entered My Mind (III-205). Returning to vocals, Annie took on When I Fall In Love (I-439). We turned to All Of Me (I-20) on Victor's next song. Annie went to I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (I-195). Rene suggested an instrumental version of There Will Never Be Another You (I-406), which played well. A few more vocals were on tap: Annie chose Thou Swell (I-411). Victor and the rhythm section had some trouble finding the groove on In The Still Of The Night (II-198)--sorry, man. Annie finished up singing with Never Let Me Go (III-299). We went out with everyone having a say on Craig's call, Fly Me To The Moon (II-135).

Participant Picks


Line for Lyons
Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker
Billy Taylor and Jimmy Owens

Mas Que Nada
Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66
Al Jarreau


In The Still Of The Night (Cole Porter)
Frank Sinatra
Steve Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment