Sunday, March 18, 2018

March 17, 2018

Next Time: Saturday, March 23, Hook and Ladder, Lake and Minnehaha, 1-5 pm

Add a Tune: The Gift (II-150)

Sure and begorrah and other bits of Irish-sounding stuff. Despite the last minute change, a good crowd showed up on St. Patrick's Day to pack ourselves into the basement theater at TowerLight. On hand were Steve C (piano), Ray (bass and violin), Steve H (alto), Raphael (bass), Jack D (trumpet), Waymond (bass and drums), Terry (guitar), Sam (trumpet and trombone), Steve M (alto), Wes (tenor), Carl (trombone), and Annie (vocals).

We began with Sam's Add-A-Tune for the week, So Nice (Summer Samba) (I-362). Steve M up next chose Lullaby of Birdland (I-256). Terry opted for Black Orpheus (I-49). Next up, Steve C went to one of our standbys, Robbin's Nest (II-330). Jack D got on the board with Autumn In New York (I-38). Over to Waymond, we ran with (but not too fast) Anthropology (I-29). Raphael took us in a simpler direction with his call of Let's Get Lost (II-238). Charlie Parker's My Little Suede Shoes (II-282) somehow kept drifting between Latin and swing, yet somehow we reached the conclusion intact. Yours truly decided to honor the day with How Are Things In Glocca Morra (II-147). Wes wrapped up the instrumental segment with Donna Lee (I-123).

We were a bit behind schedule when we began the vocal segment, but Annie also decided homage was due to the Irish (or at least to Finian's Rainbow) by starting with Look To The Rainbow (III-249). She followed with Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars (I-335). Carl directed our instrumental interlude to Blue Monk (I-52). Annie stayed on her Latin theme with Besame Mucho (III-42), though we seem to have gotten a bit lost in there. Things went better with her next call, Why Do I Love You (II-425). Steve M got the choice on the instrumental, I Remember You (II-179). Annie took us down an interesting avenue with a sultry version of Honeysuckle Rose (II-167). She brought us back with a swinging Just In Time (II-222). We polished of the afternoon with Waymond's call, Wes Montomgery's D Natural Blues (I95).

Participant Picks

How Are Things In Glocca Morra
Kitty Kallen
The Hi-Lo’s
Sonny Rollins

Look To The Rainbow
Petula Clark/Fred Astaire
Dinah Washington
Astrud Gilberto

D Natural Blues
Wes Montgomery


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment