Tuesday, November 15, 2016

November 12, 2016

Next Workshop: Saturday, November 19, at the Hook and Ladder, Minnehaha and Lake, Minneapolis. Set-up 2:30, play 3-5:30, clear out by 6:00. 

Fewer people than last week, but a much more productive day. Sam (bass), Steve H (alto), Wes (tenor), Carl (trombone) and Annie (vocals) were the players of record.

Somehow, I got the first two calls, so we played two side-by-side, the ballad Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (II-354), and a medium swing version of Softly As In A Morning Sunrise (II-355). Sam changed the mood soon enough with Monk's In Walked Bud (II-200). Time for Wes to choose, and we played Along Came Betty (I-22). Back to me, I pulled out the languid and bluesy Creole Love Call (III-88). Sam did another side-by-side, and picked Cry Me A River (III-89). Donna Lee (I-123) was up next, one Wes really wants us to work on. Sam took the next one, and decided on Jordu (I-227). As Annie and Carl arrived and got settled, we played a Latin-y Here's That Rainy Day (I-175).

Annie got the singing portion of the day going with Time After Time (III-408), followed by You've Changed (III-463). Carl got the instrumental choice, going with Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West (II-408). We did a few more instrumentals, with Wes pulling out Ceora (I-72), then Sam's unexpected choice of That's Amore (I-404). We got back to Annie's vocals, first with There Will Never Be Another You (I-407). We tried to make a go of There'll Be Some Changes Made (I-408), but we had the hardest time getting the feel of the half-time beat without more rhythm (some things sound easier than they are on paper). We took an instrumental turn, with yours truly deciding finally on Take The A Train (I-398). Carl took another pick, this time Nostalgia In Times Square (I-306). Annie got the last two: Song For My Father (I-373 and thank goodness for my egg), and Isn't It Romantic (I-219).

Participant Picks

Creole Love Call (Duke Ellington, Adelaide Hall vocal)

Nostalgia In Times Square (Charles Mingus)

Jordu (Clifford Brown & Max Roach)


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment