Wednesday, July 13, 2016

July 11, 2016

After a week off (it was the 4th of July, after all), we convened a fairly sizeable group for our usual Monday shenanigans. Present were Phil on piano, Ray on bass, Tom on drums, Sam and Jack D on trumpet, Bob on trombone, Steve M on alto, Steve H on alto and soprano, and Wes on tenor.

Phil got the first pick, and we kicked off the proceedings with Dream A Little Dream Of Me (I-124). Sam punished us for not letting him go first by calling Dear Old Stockholm (I-102), which held up pretty well until the last couple of choruses. Steve M made the more traditional call of a mid-tempo Autumn Leaves (I-39). We all got a turn to let our bluesy sides out with a relaxed but not too slow Angel Eyes (I-28), Jack's choice. Bob returned to that 60's mood with Call Me Irresponsible (I-67). Your scribe was not quite prepared for his turn, but after a few minutes opted for the always solid Don't Get Around Much Any More (I-122).

Tom took it from there with Blue Monk (I-52). Ray finally got us off Book I by calling Poinciana (III-322). This didn't stop Wes from returning to Book I, but with the challenging Donna Lee (I-123), which we took well down-tempo. Back to Phil, who likes to pull out the unfamiliar tunes, we tried I'm All Smiles (I-198), a complex jazz waltz, but abandoned it in favor of the more accessible Somebody Loves Me (I-369). Sam pulled out another one we had more trouble with than we thought we should, All The Things You Are (I-22), with a Latin beat. We closed out with Steve M's choice, Wave (I-431).

Participant's Picks

Tom: Poinciana
Glenn Miller
Xavier Cugat

Jack D: So What?
Miles Davis

Wes: Donna Lee
Charlie Parker

Steve H: Blues for Madeleine
Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment