Thursday, June 30, 2016

June 27, 2016

We met on a beautiful summertime Monday evening. Participating were Tom (drums), Sam (bass), Steve M (alto), Steve H (alto and soprano), Jack D (trumpet), Wes (tenor), and Dick (vocals).

Things got rolling with Solar (I- ), Sam’s choice. Steve M was up next, and called For All We Know (I- ). Jack D. had an interesting choice, but I forgot to write it down.  After that, we were On A Slow Boat To China (III-309). Wes completely changed the mood with his choice of Boplicity (I-58). Another change of pace came with Sam’s next call, Waltz For Debbie (I-42).

Vocals began with Dick’s choices of A Sunday Kind Of Love (I-392), followed by Fly Me To The Moon (II-135).  Next up was Steve M’s call, I Thought About You (II-180).; Dick joined in. Jack D decided on the classic I Love Paris (I-189). Sam asked that we do a little work, handing out a few tunes in C for us to transpose, Cute (yours truly cheated and moved over to piano for this one) and On The Trail. We struggled with transposition, and decided to close out with a vocal, I Could Write A Book (I-186).

Participant Picks
Sam
Freddie Hubbard, First Light (1971)

Jack
Chet Baker, My Buddy

Wes
John Coltrane, Blue Train (1957)

Dick
Frank Sinatra, Nancy with the Laughing Face

Steve H
Miles Davis, Boplicity

Zoot Sims, Wrap Up


No comments:

Post a Comment