Friday, July 24, 2015

July 20, 2015

We are moving closer to our date for the Freedom Jazz Festival, August 15.  We are also moving closer to settling on a playlist for that appearance. Most of the songs below were chosen with an eye toward that event.

Wes (tenor), Gene (drums), and Steve M (alto) were setting up when I (alto and soprano) arrived, followed shortly by Carl (trombone) and Annie (vocals). With four horn in place, we returned to an original arrangement, Bean's Blues, named after my granddaughter (no relation, to the best of my knowledge, to Coleman Hawkins). Next we ran a couple of tunes for Annie, Sweet Pumpkin (not in the Real Book), and I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance (II-173). For an instrumental, Wes called Doxy (II-111), and Steve M. requested Yardbird Suite.

Dick (vocals) and Serdar (guitar) had arrived by this time, and Serdar got set up in time to join on Carl's choice, Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West (II-408). Then we ran Dick's picks, Out Of Nowhere (I-318) and All Of Me (I-20). With Serdar now holding down some chord structure (other than one provided by horns), we went back over Annie's tunes from earlier. 

After that we moved to songs just for fun. Wes went with Groovin' High (I-166). We did a reprise at a more cordial tempo of Out Of Nowhere. Annie looked through the list and came up with Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good To You (I-153). We finished off with one of Dick's favorites, I Could Write A Book (I-186). 

We'll keep you posted on the place and time of our appearance at the Festival.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment