Friday, May 15, 2015

May 9, 2015

HEY, EVERYBODY! Family Fun in the Park Day at McRae is Saturday, May 30. Members of the Jazz Workshop will be playing outside for the event that day.

This week's newcomer was an old-timer: Tom had not been to the workshop for about ten years, but he was there to play drums in the absence of Gene, who was recovering from sundry ailments this week. He was joined by Sam (bass), Wes (tenor), Jack K (trumpet), Steve M (alto) and yours truly to get things started with Song For My Father (I-373). Jack's choice of Satin Doll (I-349) was followed by Polka Dots and Moonbeams (II-318), Steve M's call. Wes had passed on his turn, so we went back to him for Groovin' High (I-166). I decided on Cole Porter's It's DeLovely (III-213). Oldcomer Tom requested St. Thomas (II-339). Sam wanted to work on something for an outdoor event, so we went through the arrangement of Four Brothers. Somehow, Sam got a second pick, and we went with one of his favorites, Dear Old Stockholm (I-102).

By this time, Annie and Carl had arrived, with Dick not far behind. Settling down to the vocalist portion, Annie chose two: A Fine Romance (I-140), and an off-the-Real Book tune, Sweet Pumpkin. Dick took two as well, starting with How High The Moon (I-180), and Corcovado (Quiet Nights) (I-335). An instrumental interlude had us playing Cousin Mary (II-93). Back to Annie, we cruised through Here's To My Lady (III-144), then tackled the more slippery Get Happy (III-128). Dick went with some familiar songs, Where Or When (III-438) and Black Orpheus (I-49). The generally reticent Carl surprised everyone with a call, the Gospel-based I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (I-195). Annie picked Exactly Like You (III-116), followed by the Billie Holiday blues, Fine And Mellow. Dick looked to be finishing things off with Fly Me To The Moon, (II-135). However, as I was packing up to go, a discussion somehow got started about Poor Butterfly (II-325), and before I got out, they had pulled it out and were having a go at it. How much longer the session went, this tale does not tell.

Participant Picks
Lots of great tunes for you, the reader, to listen to this week.

Carl: Nina Simone, I Wish I Knew How It Would Fell To Be Free.


Annie: Sarah Vaughan, Poor Butterfly

Steve M: Charlie Parker, Confirmation

Wes: Charlie Parker, Au Privave

Dick: Michel Legrand, The Summer Knows
I found an interesting vocal version by Jessye Norman, followed by a favorite of mine, Phil Woods playing with the Michel Legrand Orchestra.

Steve H: Bob Brookmeyer and Gerry Mulligan, Makin' Whoopee



No comments:

Post a Comment