Saturday, May 30, 2015

May 30, 2015

Jazz Workshop meeting time change.Contrary to last weeks announcement, it looks like we meet one more Saturday, June 6, at the usual time. Then we shift to Mondays evenings 5-8 for the summer, starting June 8.
Family Fun in the Park happened on Saturday, May 30. It was a relatively lively event—plenty of families and food, kid-type activities, bicycle raffles, and bands. We were told we would be going on at 1:00, but didn’t actually get going until 2:30. We were, however, the first band to play in the beer garden when it opened. And it’s always fun to play for an audience, which was not huge, but very generous.
Most of the usual gang made it: Sam on bass and trumpet, Gene on drums, Annie on vocals, Carl on trombone, Serdar and Greg on guitars, Wes on tenor, and yours truly on alto. I won’t try to tell who played all the solos, because I wasn’t keeping careful track.
We kicked things off with Take The A Train (I, 398), including a vocal by Annie. I got to announce the next tune, There Will Never Be Another You (I, 407), because it was my anniversary, and I played this tune at my wedding reception. Next up, Annie sang Out of Nowhere (I, 318). Sam moved to trumpet as we pulled out the arrangement of Four Brothers we have occasionally practiced, though several of us ended up on parts with which we were unfamiliar. We have work to do on that one. Next up was Annie’s rendering of Why Do I Love You (II, 425). We wrestled once again with the instrumental Dear Old Stockholm (I, 102). We left it to Annie to call the last tune, and she chose Satin Doll (I, 349).
Thanks for listening to us in the Park, everyone! We enjoyed playing for you.


--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment