Monday, April 6, 2015

April 4, 2015

As I write this, a beautiful Easter has dawned, it is now a cool and wet Monday—which, given the lack of moisture this winter, is much needed—and baseball begins. All is right with the world.

A good turnout on Saturday: Sam (bass and trumpet), Gene (drums), Wes (tenor), Steve M (alto), Greg, (guitar), Jim D (bari sax), Jack D (trumpet), Carl (trombone), Annie (vocals), and your scribe (alto).

As I arrived, Sam, Greg, Steve M, Wes and Jack were on the first tune, My Romance. By the time I got my horn out, Sam had brought out West Coast Blues (I 436). Jack D called for the lovely You Are Too Beautiful (I 455). Jim had arrived, and got his bari set up in time to play Wes’ pick, Cousin Mary (II-93). I pulled up one that brought to mind the ocean for a lot of people present, Avalon  (II-25).  Jim came with one in mind, Gerry Mulligan’s Out Back of the Barn (II-304). Steve M decided on an alternating Latin/Swing version of I’ll Remember April (I-197).

We’ve been working on Four Brothers recently, and tried out a new arrangement, which seemed to show promise. While figuring this out, Carl and Annie arrived. Annie asked for On A Slow Boat To China (III 306), followed by My Foolish Heart (I-286). We forced Carl to take a turn, and he chose Blue Monk ((I 52).  Back to Annie, we covered two more: Can’t Help Loving” Dat Man (I 68) and We’ll Be Together Again (I 434). Greg, following his habit of calling whatever is on the opposite page, got us to try Well You Needn’t (I 435). Annie wanted Hoagy Carmishael’s Skylark (III 356), then followed Greg’s lead, went to the next page and A Sleepin’ Bee (III 357). After an instrumental, Birk’s Works (II 48), we returned to romance as we began, this time I’ll Take Romance (III 180).


Participant Picks
A lot of people had interesting ideas this time out for your listening pleasure.

Sam: JJ Johnson and Kai Winding, Blue Monk

Annie: Aretha Franklin, Skylark

Jim: Gerry Mulligan, Out Back of the Barn

Wes: Charlie Parker, Au Privave

Greg: Doris Day w/ Les Brown, We’ll Be Together Again

Gene: Thelonious Monk, Monk’s Dream

Jack: Chet Baker, Almost Blue

Steve H: Phil Woods, A Sleepin’ Bee

And because I promised Annie I would: Ernie and Hoots (and many celebrities), Put Down The Ducky

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment