Monday, April 27, 2015

April 25, 2015

A lovely afternoon was developing as the group slowly gathered. We did not actually count off the first tune until almost noon. Sam (bass) chose St. Thomas (II-339) to kick things off. Wes (tenor) brought in a non-Real Book tune, Coltrane’s A Love Supreme. Yours truly (alto), went with a bouncy version of the ballad Too Young (II-403). Jack K (trumpet) also brought some outside material, pulling out the Sam Rivers tune Beatrice. Gene (drums), after naming several tunes we couldn’t find (he has a million of them in there), finally settled on we could find, but still didn’t know, Like Young (II-240), during which Jack pulled up stakes. Sam, under the influence of Todd (trumpet), came back with the familiar How High The Moon (I-180).

By this time Annie (vocals), Carl (trombone) and Divk (vocals) arrived. Annie took two: the smoky Teach Me Tonight (III-387), and the gentle The Folks Who Live On The Hill (III-136). Dick responded with two of his own, In A Mellowtone (I-206), and Have You Met Miss Jones (I-172).  Time for an instrumental: while Gene took a break, I sat down at the drums to keep time on Tune Up. Wes kept a beat going on drums while we played Annie’s next request, My Romance (I-289), followed by My Shining Hour (I-290). On Dick’s next turn, we took up Dearly Beloved (I-103). As an instrumental, we took on one that Annie had decided against earlier, One Note Samba (I-314). We finished off the afternoon with two more from Annie, Sugar (I-387) and They’ll  Be Some Changes Made (I-408).

Participant Picks
Sam: Bozen Brass, Black and White (not exactly jazz, but cool nonetheless)

Greg: Peggy Lee, Why Don’t You Do Right? (A pick left over from last week)

Gene: Dizzy Gillespie, Chega de Saudade (No More Blues) (Jobim)

Wes: John Coltrane, Up Against the Wall

Jack K: Sam Rivers, Beatrice

Annie: Bill Henderson, The Folks Who Live On The Hill

Dick: Sammy Davis Jr., My Shining Hour

Steve H:  Here are two songs that got me through a few break-ups, when played back to back really loud about fifteen or twenty times in a row until the roommates complain: Duke Ellington, Prelude to a Kiss and Perdido




No comments:

Post a Comment