Sunday, March 8, 2015

March 7, 2015

It was one of those slightly discombobulated days at the workshop. A funeral kept your scribe from arriving until about 12:15; thanks to Jack D for keeping notes. Fearless Leader Sam, our usual bassist, was absent, and people had other events to attend that prevented them from staying as long as usual, so there was a lot of movement. At least Gene was back, and that was very good.

When I arrived with my alto, it was Gene (drums), Wes (tenor), Steve M. (alto), Jack D. (trumpet) and Jim D. (no relation), whom we haven't seen for a few months, surprising us with his baritone sax. By that time, the group had tried out a down-speed version of So What (I, 364), followed by Isn't It Romantic (I, 219), and Lady Bird (I, 235). As I settled in, Jack D. picked Solar (I, 363). Next up came the 3/4 Up Jumped Spring (I, 425). We then ran down a blues arrangement which might make an appearance at a public venue some day. Gene thought I Thought About You (I, 180) would be fun, and we all thought that would work fine. We were sure Wes was going with Blues for Alice, but he changed his mind for Robbin's Nest.

Jack D. and Steve M. had to make their exits, though we managed to hold on to Jim D. for a few more songs. Meanwhile, Annie (vocals) and Carl (trombone) made their entrance, followed soon by Dick (vocals). This may have proved the most profitable part of the afternoon, as the horns tried to create some chordal structure behind the vocalists in the absence. Annie kicked off the vocal portion with Hello, Young Lovers (I, 176). Dick pulled out Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me (II, 107). Annie wanted to try out one she hadn't worked on for a while, Soon It's Gonna Rain (III, 372). Dick wanted to give a go to one with which the rest of us were unfamiliar, If You Never Come To Me (I, 204), and we appreciated the new tune. Next, Annie called the old Basin Street Blues (II, 37). Dick called the classic In A Mellow Tone. Annie took us out with the last three songs: With A Song In My Heart (II, 427), Who Can I Turn To (II, 423), and I Could Write A Book (I, 184).

Participant's Picks
Sam, though absent, sent along a pick he used before, but it's a good one, so we'll post it again: Luis Salinas' La Salsalinas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f76JGCG_WU

Gene was enthusiastic about Cannonball Adderley's Sack O' Woe.

Annie and Carl had a discussion of Rene Marie's Peel Me A Grape, so here it is.

Dick has a memory of Anthony Newley singing a song to a seal, but I have been unable to locate it. If anyone has a lead, please let us know.

I was looking for something from Phil Woods, and came across one Sam should appreciate, because he keeps trying to get us to play it: Dear Old Stockholm.

Here is my favorite track off the 1963 collaboration of Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1YTkl0-NY

Enjoy.

--SJH


2 comments:

  1. I have decided to stop coming to the workshop until I improve my playing. I'll return when I think I'm ready. Thanks to all for your help, patience, and encouragement.
    Jack Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What better way to improve your playing than to keep playing with us? If you stay away, we will miss having you there, and look forward to your return.--SJH

      Delete