Sunday, March 1, 2015

February 28, 2015

Your scribe had a car snafu this particular Saturday, and thus did not arrive at the workshop until after noon. The members assembled in the lobby. Sam on the bass, Jack D on trumpet and Steve M on alto had already played Autumn Leaves, On A Clear Day You Can See Forever, and Slow Boat To China, and Jack had just called In A Mellowtone. Wes, tenor already out, was digging in the storage closet for a drum and cymbal in the absence of Gene, whom we understand is recovering at home after some time in the hospital. Jack K eventually arrived to provide some actual expertise on the set, but Wes and I did what we could. Please get better, Gene!

By the time I got set up, we were ready to cover I Hear A Rhapsody (II-177) at Steve M's request. Yours truly asked for the ballad The Very Thought of You (III-421). Wes was next, and we chugged along on Coltrane's Blue Train (I-54), which received applause from a passing father and son. Sam had spotted Unforgettable on the preceding page (III-420) from the one I had chosen, so that was next.

By now, Jack K had come in with a few more cymbals and some sticks, and called Miles Davis' Four (I-149). Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73), a popular old standard, was Jack D's choice. Steve M. pulled out I Love Paris (I-189), with its intriguing shift back and forth between minor and major keys. Annie and Carl had both presented themselves by this time. Annie, her microphones and amp again locked in the office, stuck with an "I" tune, I Can't Get Started (I-184), which turned into a peculiarly amusing duet with Jack K. Steve M and I saw I Can't Give You Anything But Love on the next page and said, "Why not?" Jack K moved over to trumpet after this, and Wes and I kept the beat in turn. Annie got another call, and carried on the pattern with I Could Write A Book (I-186). By now, Dick was ready to sing, and went back-to-back with Fly Me To The Moon (II-135) and Out of Nowhere (I-318). Sam settled on Black Orpheus. Not sure who called the next one, but it was Dearly Beloved. We finished off the afternoon with Mean To Me (III-274).

Participant Picks
Well, I forgot to bring it up this week, so I don't have any picks. I have to admit, though, that I had never thought of On A Clear Day as a jazz tune. So I did a little research, and I stand corrected. Here are a few versions you might enjoy.

Bill Evans On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

Frank Sinatra

Johnny Hartman

Sarah Vaughan

Barney Kessel

--SJH


No comments:

Post a Comment