Thursday, June 22, 2023

June 17, 2023

Next Time: Sat., 6/24, 11am-2pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale Ave., St. Louis Park)

The gang assembled once again for some jazz fun. Present were Sam (trumpet, trombone), David (trombone), Steve C (piano), Raphael (bass), Steve H (alto), Carl (trombone), Bill (vocals), and Ari (trumpet). 

As usual, Sam got us started, with the unusual (unless you've been around the Workshop for a while) Dear Old Stockholm (I-102). David took the next call, Black Coffee (I-45) at a somewhat faster clip than what you might generally hear. Bill took his first vocal turn, Ain't Misbehavin' (handout in his key). Carl opted for the Ellington ballad Mood Indigo (I-279). Bill's next vocal selection was I'll Take Romance (handout). Steve C. turned the mood a little lighter with If I Were A Bell (II-194). Raphael got the next pick, Move (II-280), on which just about everyone took extra choruses. Bill came back to do I've Got You Under My Skin (handout) Yours truly finally got a turn shortly before heading out for the day, and chose Paul Desmond's Wendy (II-418). Ari pulled out something new to everyone, Jimmy Rowles' 502 Blues (I-142). Your scribe slipped out during that one, but apparently things continued without him. Sam pulled out Song For My Father (I-373). The festivities closed with David's choice, One Note Samba (I-314).

Hope to see you next time!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment