Thursday, August 18, 2022

August 13, 2022

Next Time: Sat., 8/20,, 11am-2pm, McRae Rec Center (906 E. 47th St., MPLS), front or back entrance, weather permitting. 

Bring your own chair and stand.

We had a decent crew at the last Workshop: Sam (trumpet, trombone), John (trombone), Steve (soprano), Carl (trombone), Raphael (bass), and Serdar (guitar). We also had an appreciative audience at a kid's birthday party by the pool, which is always a plus.

Sam got the motor running with the lengthy Nica's Dream (I-299). John opted for the more traditional Satin Doll (I-349). Your scribe decided a medium swing version of Beautiful Love (I-40) would work. It did. Carl returned us to Ellington with his choice of In A Mellow Tone (I-206). Raphael felt it necessary to change books with Bolivia (III-56). It took us quite a bit of work and vocal counting to get hold of the form correctly, but when we did it was satisfying. 

Sam changed moods entirely with Stanley Turrentine's Sugar (I-387). Serdar felt the need to work on something in 3, picking Alice In Wonderland (I-17). John decided we all needed to work on a favorite of his, Wave (I-431); he was correct. Taking us back to roots, yours truly went with a bit of Gershwin from 1924, Somebody Loves Me (I-369). We completed our afternoon, as a number of us had to leave, with a spirited if choppy rendition of Sam's call, Four Brothers (II-282).

Hope to see you next time!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment