Thursday, July 21, 2022

July 16, 2022

Next Time: Sat., 7/23, 11am-2pm, McRae Rec Center (906 E. 47th St., MPLS), weather permitting.

Might be at the front entrance, might be at the back entrance, so check both. Bring your own chair and stand.

Only three people stopped by on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon to play: Sam (bass), Carl (trombone), and Steve H. (soprano). We had fun. 

Your scribe started things off with a lively and fun version of Cole Porter's I Love Paris (I-189). Carl went to the mysterious with the bossa Black Orpheus (I-49). We went Parker (but not too Parker) with Sam's pick, Au Privave (I-37). Back to yours truly, it was time for a bit of Ellington, I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart ((I-188). Carl went classic, choosing Autumn Leaves (I-39). Sam went unexpected, opting for the challenge of Take Five (I-397). 

Full circle again (it being a tiny circle), your scribe called Gershwin into the mix in Somebody Loves Me (I-369). Someone very not-Gershwin was evoked with Carl's choice of Blue Monk (I-52). Sam surprised us again by going totally traditional, Blue Room (I-53). Your scribe went with an easy flowing version of Isn't It Romantic (I-219). Carl was feeling it as well, turning to Dearly Beloved (I-103). Sam stayed in that vein, opting for All The Things You Are (I-22). Bass and soprano finished the day back with whom we started with a duet on a somewhat up-tempo version of Easy To Love (I-128).

So much fun, and we never left Vol. I of the Real Book

Hope to see you next time!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment