Sunday, January 5, 2020

January 4, 2020

Next Time: Sat., 1/11, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

Sam's Add-A-Tune: Blues for Wood (II-60)

Quite a crew showed up for our first Workshop of the new decade. Present were Sam (trumpet, trombone), John (trombone), Steve H (piano, soprano), Waymond (drums), Jack K (trumpet), Steve D (cornet), Raphael (bass), Wes (tenor), Ari (trumpet), and Carl (trombone).

Things got underway with Sam's Add-A Tune, Freddie Freeloader (I-151). John went a little more up with Groovin' High (I-xxx). Jack K had purchased Vol IV, so we spent some time with Sunny (IV-xxx). Your scribe watched a lot of Irving Berlin-based Fred and Ginger movies on New Year's Eve, and opted for Let's Face The Music And Dance (III-238). Raphael found a lesser known tune, I Wish I Were In Love Again (III-171). Wes brought us to the more familiar Along Came Betty (III-22). Waymond was of a mind to revisit some Charlie Parker with a rousing version of Anthropology (I-29). Ari settled for his second choice, Afro Blue (I-11).

Second time around, Sam began with what turned into a very long version of The Gift (Recado Bossa Nova) (III-150). Your scribe had to pull out, but Raphael kept track of the remaining tunes. Carl called Blue Monk (I-52). Raphael stayed in blue mode with It's Blue World (II-207). Wes went with another blues, Red Top (III-332). Waymond called the bluesy Sugar (I-387). Sam finished the afternoon with St. Thomas (II-334).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment