Thursday, May 2, 2019

April 27. 2019

Next time: Sat., 5/4, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale, St. Louis Park)

Sam's Add-a-Tune: Whisper Not (II-422)

A familiar gathering: Sam (trumpet and trombone), Raphael (bass), Jeff (piano), Steve C (piano), Jack K (trumpet, drums), John (trombone), Steve H (soprano, rhythm), Wes (tenor), Ari (trumpet, drums).

We got started, as usual, with the Add-a-Tune, this time Benny Golson's Stablemates (III-378), mostly because Sam had just seen Golson at Crooners and had a good time. Heading around the circle, John got next crack and pulled out Wave (I-431). Jack took us on an easy-feeling My Romance (I-289). Jeff made us work on a lengthy samba, Chega de Saudade (I-74). Steve C opted for the swingier Have You Met Miss Jones (I-172). Raphael, always looking for the one he hasn't played, chose Midnight Sun (III-276) which, because of its unusual phrase lengths, is a lot trickier than it sounds. As for Wes, Straight No Chaser (I-386) was just the ticket. Yours truly thought it might be fun to play one he's always wanted to try, Lazy River (I-242); nobody objected.

Back to Sam for a second round, we went to Out Of Nowhere (I-318). John next called Black Nile (I-48). Steve C was on the keys for Lady Bird (I-235). Ari decided on Sophisticated Lady (I-376). Raphael also rummaged around among the old tunes, choosing I'm Sitting On Top Of The World (III-187). Wes went to the tried and true, with Donna Lee (I-123). Your scribe was feeling upbeat, and called Cherokee (I-77). Sam took us to closing (and beyond) with St. Thomas (II-339).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment