Friday, November 9, 2018

November 3, 2018

Next Time: Saturday, November 10, 11am-3pm, TowerLight (3601 Wooddale Avenue, Saint Louis Park)


On hand at one point or another were Jack K (trumpet), Sam (trumpet and trombone), Wes (tenor), Raphael (bass), Steve M (alto), Steve C (piano), Steve H (alto, piano), Victor (vocals), and Jim D (clarinet and vocals). We had to keep sending people upstairs for a while with the front desk unattended, so people were in and out.

Playing got started with Sam's handout, a harmonized version of Lullaby of Birdland. Jack took the next number, I Could Write A Book (I-186). Steve M gave the call to How High The Moon (I-180). Steve C went Latin with Blue Bossa (I-50). Yours truly switched over to piano for one tune while Raphael gave us the challenge on Waltz For Debby (I-432). We almost knew it was the call before Wes opted for Donna Lee (I-123). Your scribe dug into his bag for a four-part version of Four Brothers. Sam worked us hard on Dear Old Stockholm (I-102).

We started some vocalizing with Victor's first choice, Basin Street Blues (II-37), followed by Stardust (II-367). Steve M took another turn, this time Indiana (II-201). Victor was ready to go on Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73). Jim D thought it would be fun to do the vocalese version of Robbin's Nest (II-330), which has a different name which your scribe forgot to scribe. Victor went back to his standard, Avalon (II-25). There is apparently also a vocalese version of Red Top (III-332), with which Jim D also regaled us. Steve C changed things up a bit with Oleo (I-309). Victor got in one last vocal call, Blue Skies (II-58). Raphael decided on the old standard Out Of Nowhere (I-318). Sam took us out on My Little Suede Shoes (II-282).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment