Thursday, October 11, 2018

October 6, 2018

Next Time: Saturday, October 13, 1-5pm, Hook and Ladder (Lake and Minnehaha, MPLS)


Sam's FJF practice: Bean's Blues (I'll provide the chart.)

We got started this rainy morning with Sam (trombone, trumpet), Steve H (piano), Wes (tenor), newcomer Ari (trumpet), Raphael (bass), Craig (guitar) and Steve M (alto). Apparently some listeners stopped in at some point, and one even joined in!

Things got started with Sam's choice, Lullaby of Birdland (I-256). Ari, by virtue of sitting next to Sam, got the next choice, going with All Blues (I-18). Craig was up next, and opted for Satin Doll (I-349). Before heading out, yours truly called seasonally appropriate Autumn Leaves (I-39).

Sam and your scribe both had to leave early, but Raphael took notes on the remainder. In fact, it was Raphael's turn, and he chose Soul Eyes (II-261). Ari pulled out a favorite of several Workshoppers, St. Thomas (II-339). Steve M. turned to an excellent alto number, Misty (I-277). Ari had to run at 1:00, and Wes was out early as well, but those left behind continued gamely on.

Craig called You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You (II-438). Someone requested I've Never Been In Love Before (III-194). Raphael found the little-remarked Telephone Song (III-390). Craig got another shot and went with Moonlight In Vermont (III-282). Peggy, who had stopped in to listen, got a turn with Summertime (IV-xxx). Steve M chose I Love Paris (I-189). Raphael came back with Night In Tunisia (I-302). Craig really dug back with the old boogie Caledonia (III-70). Someone called I"ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face (III-192). Raphael returned to a number we had done the previous week, Kalmar and Ruby's Three Little Words (III-406). Steve M. decided on On The Sunny Side Of The Street (III-312). Craig wrapped things up with Crazy (III-86).

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment