Thursday, December 14, 2017

December 9, 2017

This Saturday (and for the remainder of December): Meet at TowerLight, 3601 Wooddale Ave., St. Louis Park, 11am-3pm.


Our attendance this week was good. Sam (bass), Steve C. (piano), Jack K. (trumpet), Steve H (alto), Ray (violin), Wes (tenor), Serdar (guitar), Annie (vocals), Carl (trombone) and Matt (vocals).

We got things rolling with the first four playing (appropriately) Four (I-149) at Sam's request. Yours truly took the next call, I've Got The World On A String (III-189), with Ray joining in. Jack K. opted for Isn't It Romantic (I-219), which started slower than it finished. Up next, Ray went to Let's Fall In Love (II-237). Apparently on a theme roll, Steve C. chose The Nearness Of You (II-285), which didn't so much get faster as more swingy. Serdar and Wes had joined us by this time, and were in place to join in Sam's pick, So What (I-364). Ray had changed spots to get closer to the rhythm section, and ended up in position to get another call, My Buddy (I-284), which happened to be next to the one Serdar had wanted to work on, My Favorite Things (I-285).

By now, Annie and Carl were set, and we got to the vocal portion. Annie's first tune was Merry Christmas Baby (C-132), followed by When I Fall In Love (I-439). I had brought along an arrangement from last year, Santa Monk Is Coming To Town, which seemed to amuse everyone. Back to Annie, we got into a favorite, Let There Be Love (III-236). She changed the mood with another of her favorites, Never Let Me Go (III-299). Wes got a pick, and pulled out one that he loves to work on, Donna Lee (I-123). Back to Annie, who had a hankering for Thou Swell (I-411). Matt came in around then, and got the next number, The Christmas Song (C-38). He took an encore with All Of Me (I-20). Annie chose the classic For All We Know (I-145). We finished off with both singers taken a turn on Matt's choice, L-O-V-E (II-252).

Participant Picks
My Buddy
Harry James/Frank Sinatra

Henry Burr

My Favorite Things
Tony Benett

I’ll Be Home For Christmas
Tony Bennett


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment