Wednesday, July 5, 2017

July 1, 2017

Sadly, Wes' morning session is no more, due to a change of policy at Lake Nokomis Community Center. We'll work out some other way to do that work.

We made a change in time for this weekend, but it was a very busy weekend for your scribe, so I was not available for some of the afternoon session. When I arrived, Sam had put the group through some exercises on counting in, tempo, playing together and following directions. (What? Workshopping at a workshop?) Besides Sam (bass), there was Wes (tenor), Jack D (trumpet), Carl (trombone), Annie (vocals), Arnie (is that right?) (vocals), and the woman on clarinet I met at Nokomis but whose name I have forgotten. Betty kept the notes until I got the piano set up.

By the time I arrived, the group had already played a few tunes: Pent Up House, Double Clutching Equinox, and Avalon. We picked it up with Annie's vocal on One Note Samba. Wes took the next call with Red Top.

It was a good thing I pulled out the piano, because at this point Sam had to head out, leaving me with the entire rhythm section duties (which he had bravely been shouldering until my arrival). We picked it up now with Stanley Turrentine's Sugar, Annie's call. I got the next choice, going with a loping version of Easy Living. Arnie wasn't sure what to go with, but we all concurred that Ain't Misbehaving would fit his style perfectly. Carl decided on In A Mellow Tone. We closed out with Lullaby of Birdland. It was an early wrap, because I had to roll.

Participant's Picks

Sam gave me a few choices several weeks back, but I've been a bit remiss in keeping up with the blogging duties.  However, most of them are currently unavailable (don't know why), except this one.


Will Kjeer, Living


Here are some others:

Sonny Rollins, Pent Up House

John Coltrane and Kenny Dorham (1958)
Double Clutching


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment