Monday, March 27, 2017

March 24, 2017

Sorry, my note taking this week was not so good. I was playing piano, and occasionally trying to transpose music, so I was not paying as much attention to writing down the doings as usual.

All that having been said, we had a nice group. Sam (trumpet and bass), Jack D (trumpet), Jack K (trumpet), Steve H (alto and piano), Ray (bass and violin), Carl (trombone), Annie (vocals), and Wes (tenor).

Sam kicked us off with Oliver Nelson's The Drive. Annie called for It Might As Well Be Spring. Carl pulled out a non-Real Book piece by Al Cohn, The Natural Thing To Do. Another vocal for Annie, this time Joy Spring. Wes went with the classic Red Top. We worked on Annie's off-book vocal, Everything Must Change. Jack D request I Remember You. Annie chose the Porter favorite I Love You. Jack K. opted for My Little Suede Shoes; I refused to give them to him. Back to Annie, we tried our hand at The Gravy Waltz. Ray called one that doesn't get out too often in our group, Lullaby of the Leaves. As things were breaking up, Sam went with Straight, No Chaser. We concluded with my choice, Makin' Whoopee.

Sam said of my final choice, "That reminds me of Spike Jones." Hence the following Participant Picks.

Cocktails for Two

That Old Black Magic

I’m Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter

You Always Hurt The One You Love

Der Fuerher’s Face

Enjoy. Seriously.

--SJH


No comments:

Post a Comment