Saturday, February 11, 2017

February 3, 2017

Only Serdar (guitar) was available as rhythm section this week, and he was hoping to get in some solo work, so yours truly (alto) pulled out the Hook and Ladder's big electronic piano to give us some alternative chords and bass lines. Steve M (alto), Wes (tenor) and Jack D (trumpet) joined in the festivities.

We began with Charlie Parker's Billie's Bounce (II-44), Serdar's choice, and one he wanted to work on. Sensing a theme, I went with Jersey Bounce (III-223) as my call. Wes wanted to keep working on Donna Lee (I-123), so we did; we're starting to get the hang of it. Jack slowed things down with But Beautiful (II-62). Up next, At Long Last Love (III-32), Steve M's choice this week out of the Songs That Don't Get Played Enough songbook. Back to Serdar, we did a reprise of Billie's Bounce, because he really wanted to work on it. Your scribe went with the unseasonal Warm Valley (III-412). Jack had to fly at that juncture, which was too bad, because we got in the groove fairly well with Wes' next pick, Robbins Nest (II-330). I'm pretty sure Steve M had another call at this point, but I didn't write it down. Serdar called for another tune he's been working on each week, All The Things You Are (I-22). I requested All Of Me (I-20), which I counted off thinking it was going to be one thing, but turned into at least three other things as we proceeded through solos. Wes, always looking for a challenge or a tune he hasn't tried, pulled out Boplicity (I-158). Steve M's next choice of underappreciated song was Love Me Or Leave Me (III-255). Wes and I had to pack up, but I managed to squeeze in a bit of piano background for Song For My Father (II-373). We left Steve M and Serdar still jammin'.

Participant Picks

Miles Davis, Boplicity (Birth of the Cool, 1957)

Frank Sinatra, At Long Last Love (A Swingin’ Affair, 1957)

Enjoy.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment