Saturday, October 29, 2016

October 22, 2016

Our first visit to TowerLight on Wooddale Avenue proved an adventure for many. Highway 100 was closed for the weekend to finish off a major project, throwing off a lot of people's travel plans to get to the place from around the city. So nothing really got off the ground until noon. But the crowd was good: Sam (bass), Serdar (guitar), Wes (tenor), Jack D (trumpet), Steve M (alto), Jack K (trumpet), Steve H (alto), Carl (trombone), Annie (vocals), Jim D (alto and vocals). We even had Greg stop by just to visit.

Things got rolling with Sam's suggestion, Bye Bye Blackbird (II-73). Jack D opted for the bop blues, Solar (I-363). Annie, in early because of afternoon commitments, called Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (I-43). All The Things You Are (I-22) was Wes' pick. Back to Annie for a vocal, this time Blame It On My Youth (II-51). Jim got a turn, and decided to sing Tangerine (II-386). Don't know who, but someone requested Cousin Mary (II-93).

By 1:30, we had lost Annie, Carl, Jack D, Sam, and even Greg. We plugged on with a guitar as sole rhythm. Come Rain Or Come Shine (II-88) was next, though I neglected to note who called it. I'm also not sure where we got it from, but we played Coming Home Baby. We followed this up with Serdar's call, Basin Street Blues (II-37). We changed gears to go to Charlie Parker's Yardbird Suite (II-433). I felt like I hadn't had a good day and, to get my confidence back up, requested Georgia On My Mind (II). It felt good, but then I had to go, though I almost stayed when Steve M pulled out The Nearness Of You (II). If they played on after that, I was not present, and have no report.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment